Below is an update on the 2019 Coronavirus outbreak as of 10:00 PM on 6/21/2020
- The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) announced 146 new cases of COVID-19 yesterday. This brings the total number of positive cases of COVID-19 to 61,230.
HAPPENING ACROSS STATE GOVERNMENT
- Friday, the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency announced that since March 15, approximately 2.1 million eligible claimants have applied for state and federal benefits, with $11.4 billion in benefits paid to more 2 million workers. The agency also announced that it has now cleared a majority of all accounts that were flagged for further identity verification due to criminal attacks. This includes the clearing over 200,000 of the 340,000 active claims with claimants’ benefits resuming within days. Over 100,000 of the 200,000 newly flagged claims were also cleared. In just the last week alone, the UIA has cleared a combined 150,000 active and new claims flagged for identity verification.
“Our focus remains on getting 100% of eligible Michigan workers 100% of the benefits they deserve. We are using every available resource to verify the identity of legitimate claimants whose payments are held due to increased criminal activity, including 850 dedicated employees and newly formed advanced analytics team,” said UIA Director Steve Gray.
- MDHHS is working hard to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and are urging Michiganders to do their part to fight the virus as well. They shared some simple tips to prevent the spread of all respiratory illnesses below:
- CDC Situation Updates
- Michigan Updates
- Map of country-specific travel health information
- About COVID-19
- COVID-19 Hotline 1-888-535-6136
- MLIVE: Gov. Whitmer requests Line 5 shutdown after Enbridge restarts undamaged half of pipeline
- Detroit Free Press: Gov. Gretchen Whitmer questions Enbridge CEO about new Line 5 pipeline damage
- WNEM: Whitmer sends second letter requesting Enbridge shuts down pipeline
- MLIVE: Gov. Whitmer serves up coney dogs at Detroit’s famed Lafayette Coney Island
- Eater Detroit: Gov. Whitmer Takes Over the Grill at Lafayette Coney Island in Detroit
- Upper Michigan’s Source: TV6 hosts COVID-19 town hall meeting with Governor Whitmer